Friday, February 1, 2013

A Conversation with Desiree

Desiree saw me reading the newest Lifeline magazine; a quarterly magazine our adoption agency, Bethany, sends to it's clients. She asked what I was reading. I told her it was a magazine about adoption. She asked, "What's adoption?"
I said that  many boys and girls don't have a mommy and a daddy or a mimi and poppy to take care of them and love them, so they need a new mommy and daddy. And that is adoption when kids who don't have parents come to live with new parents. I said, " We are going to adopt a new kid. They will come to live with us." At this she got VERY excited, jumping up and down.
"They gonna live in us house?" she asked.
"Yes." I said.
"Where they gonna sleep?"
"Well if it's a girl she will share your room, but if it's a boy he will share Brandon's room. But I think it's going to be a boy."
"Can he play tea party with me?" She loves to play  tea party. Everyone in the family has been corraled into playing with her at least once.
"Yes." I said. She squealed with delight.
She said, " A boy like Weston?'" He is one of her cousins. "He has white skin."
"No," I said,"he will have dark skin like Caroline." She is the daughter of some friends of ours. I said," They will come from a country called Ghana. Can you say Ghana?" Which she did. "That's in Africa and it's far, far away."
"Who will bring them home?"
"Poppy and I will go to Ghana and bring them home."
"Can I come?"
" No honey. It's too far away." I said. Then she started crying.
" But I wanna go with you  to Africa and get our new kid." she said sobbing.
I gave her a hug and told her that it was still a long time away and we would have to wait and see.

We have talked with her before about adoption but I guess we have to keep discussing it, especially as we progress in the process. Hopefully we will have a picture to show her before too much longer. I think that will make it much more concrete for her.

Blessings,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment